475 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10115
For subscription self-service, address changes, gifts: https://subscribe.commonwealmagazine.org/CMW/?f=custcare
For advertising questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
For all other business questions: email@example.com
For website problems or questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Letters to the Editor
Letters may be submitted to the editors at email@example.com. They should be brief, and should include your full name, mailing address, e-mail address, and a telephone number where we can reach you if we have a question. Letters may be edited for length and clarity.
If you wish permission to republish an article that has appeared in Commonweal, or to reprint multiple copies of an article, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- The title, author, and date of the original article
- Where the article will be reprinted, or the number of copies you intend to reproduce
- Your name, postal address, telephone and e-mail address
To purchase a back copy of Commonweal, or to receive a photocopy or fax of an individual article from a past issue, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with the following information:
- The date of the back copy you want, or the title, author, and date of the original article
- Your name, institution (if any), and e-mail address
We will reply to your request with pricing and payment information for the back copy or article you are looking for.
Commonweal no longer accepts unsolicited submissions by email. We encourage you to send us your manuscript via Submittable. You will receive a confirmation that your manuscript has been received and will be able to check the status of your submission.
Commonweal welcomes original manuscripts dealing with topical issues of the day on public affairs, religion, literature, and the arts. We look for articles that are timely, accurate, and well written. Articles fall into three categories:
- "Upfronts," running from 1,000 to 1,500 words, are brief, "newsy" and reportorial, giving facts, information, and some interpretation behind the "headlines of the day."
- Longer articles, running from 2,000 to 3,000 words, are more reflective and detailed, bringing new information or a different point of view to a subject, raising questions, and/or proposing solutions to the dilemmas facing the world, nation, church, or individual.
- "Last Word" column, a 750-word reflection, usually of a personal nature, on some aspect of the human condition: spiritual, individual, political, or social.
Articles should be written for a general but well-educated audience. While religious articles are always topical, we are less interested in devotional and churchy pieces than in articles that examine the links between "worldly" concerns and religious beliefs.
Your name and email address should appear at the top of your submission. Payment for articles is made on publication, and Commonweal customarily retains the copyright on all published articles.
If you have further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We publish about thirty poems a year but do NOT accept poetry submissions via e-mail or Submittable. Please send poems to the address above; include a self-addressed stamped envelope with submissions (no need to enclose a CV).