475 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10115
For print subscription questions and customer service: email@example.com or call 855-713-1792
For advertising questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
For all other business questions: email@example.com
For website problems or questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Letters to the Editor
Letters may be submitted to the editors at email@example.com. They should be brief, and should include your full name, mailing address, e-mail address, and a telephone number where we can reach you if we have a question. Letters may be edited for length and clarity.
If you wish permission to republish an article that has appeared in Commonweal, or to reprint multiple copies of an article, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- The title, author, and date of the original article
- Where the article will be reprinted, or the number of copies you intend to reproduce
- Your name, postal address, telephone and e-mail address
To purchase a back copy of Commonweal, or to receive a photocopy or fax of an individual article from a past issue, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with the following information:
- The date of the back copy you want, or the title, author, and date of the original article
- Your name, institution (if any), and e-mail address
We will reply to your request with pricing and payment information for the back copy or article you are looking for.
Commonweal welcomes original manuscripts dealing with topical issues of the day on public affairs, religion, literature, and the arts. We look for articles that are timely, accurate, and well written. Articles fall into three categories:
- "Upfronts", running from 750 to 1,000 words, are brief, "newsy" and reportorial, giving facts, information, and some interpretation behind the "headlines of the day."
- Longer articles, running from 2,000 to 3,000 words, are more reflective and detailed, bringing new information or a different point of view to a subject, raising questions, and/or proposing solutions to the dilemmas facing the world, nation, church, or individual.
- "Last Word" column, a 750-word reflection, usually of a personal nature, on some aspect of the human condition: spiritual, individual, political, or social.
Articles should be written for a general but well-educated audience. While religious articles are always topical, we are less interested in devotional and churchy pieces than in articles which examine the links between "worldly" concerns and religious beliefs.
Manuscripts or queries should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If possible, please send as a Microsoft Word attachment. The author’s name, postal address and e-mail address should appear on the first page; notes and footnotes are discouraged. We do not consider simultaneous submissions. Manuscripts can also be mailed to:
475 Riverside Drive, Room 405
New York, NY 10115
If using postal mail, please provide an email address or SASE for response. Allow 4-6 weeks for editorial decision. Payment for articles is made on publication, and Commonweal customarily retains the copyright on all published articles.
We publish about thirty poems a year but do NOT accept poetry submissions via e-mail. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with submissions (no need to enclose a CV).