Commonweal's Tablet/Phone App
If you are a print subscriber to Commonweal, and already a registered user of Commonweal's website, you are entitled to free premium access to our smartphone and tablet app for both iPads/iPhones and Android tablets.
(Please note: At this time, our app does not work on smaller Android devices such as smartphones; we expect to improve this situation during 2014. It is also not fully functional on first-generation iPads that don't run Apple iOS6 or higher.)
For iPhones and iPads
1. Download our app from the App Store for iPhones and iPads.
2. The app will download into your Newsstand. Open your Newsstand and tap on the Commonweal app.
3. Once you have opened the app, you will see an icon in the top right corner that looks like a gear. Tap this icon.
4. Though it seems intuitive to select “I have a print subscription,” don’t do it. That will just show you these same directions. Instead, tap the words “Sign In.”
5. Enter the same username and password you would enter if you were logging onto our website. If you are a print subscriber and have not created an account for the website, you need to do that before you can use the app version. Creating an account is free and simple. (If you do not have an online username and password and need to create one, click "Register" in the top navigation of the site. You will need your current subscription number, which you can get from the label on any recent issue of the print magazine.)
6. After entering your username and password, tap the words “Sign In” below your login information. You should now see at least one issue of the magazine available to download. Depending on how recently you subscribed to Commonweal, the number of back issues to which you have access may be limited.
Tap the download button next to the issue you want to read and, voilà! You’ll be reading Commonweal on your iPad or iPhone in no time.
For Android Tablets:
1. Download our app from the Google Play Store.
2. The app will download onto your home screen.
3. Once you have opened the app, hit "Sign In" on the top left corner of the page. It will ask you for a username and password. If you already have an account on our website, sign in with that same username and password. (If you are not registered on our website, please follow the same instructions under #5, above, to obtain one.